Rent Arrears

Falling behind with your rent payments may lead to serious consequences for a tenant, including eviction. It is therefore vital to take action as quickly as possible.

It is helpful for a tenant to inform a landlord of the reason of falling behind with the rent and see whether they agree to a repayment plan to pay off the rent arrears.

A written agreement signed by both parties could set out the plan to ensure clarity

If the landlord does not agree to a repayment plan, the tenant could save the money and make a note of the suggested amount to be paid. This may help should the landlord decide to take legal action.

Should the landlord seek eviction and possession of his property, they will need to follow a procedure which involves getting a court order. A landlord cannot force a tenant out of the home without a court order.

However, a landlord may allow a tenant to remain in the property in some cases, as long as the tenant agrees to pay back the money owed.

At Chris Alexander Solicitors, we can assist both landlord and tenant in the different stages involved before a tenant can be evicted for rent arrears.

  • Rent arrears pre-action protocol  
  • Serve appropriate notice to quit  
  • Issue possession claim
  • Legal Representation at Court Hearing in order to secure a possession order
  • Enforcing the Order through a warrant or writ of possession

You can find more detailed information on possession proceedings and eviction on our website.

Chris Alexander Solicitors offers Legal Aid to eligible individuals in relation to housing matters.

Legal aid can help meet the costs of legal advice and representation in a court or tribunal. You will need to show that:

  • your case is eligible for legal aid 
  • the problem is serious 
  • you cannot afford to pay for legal costs

You could for example get legal aid if .

  • you or your family are at risk of abuse or serious harm, for example domestic violence or forced marriage  
  • you are at risk of homelessness or losing your home

For further advice and information and on funding your matter, contact us on 02085944469 or email address